Monday, March 28, 2011

Sucker Punch


I wanted so badly to like this.  I've really enjoyed Zack Snyder's aesthetic in the past.  I've even overlooked the various deficiencies in 300 and Watchmen because I liked the way his stuff looked.  This one falls so flat.  Before I get into all that, let me just say that there are some positive things to talk about here.  Sucker Punch is really interesting visually.  The effects are impressive.  The ladies are lovely.  The concept has potential.

I recognize the appeal of scantily-clad young women fighting, but I need them to be scantily-clad and fighting with a clear purpose.  Sucker Punch's fatal flaw is the fact the audience is never given a chance to settle into any of the stories.  If you compare this structure to a similar "alternate world" structure like Inception, the biggest difference is that the different levels in Inception are persistent and interactive.  In Sucker Punch, each vignette exists almost independently of the others.  This ultimately leaves the story feeling disjointed.

It's not all doom and gloom... impressive CGI vistas, hot girls, violence, dragons... these things are fun to watch, but only if you don't care about the plot.  I'd say this film disappointed me.  I went in with reasonable (I thought) expectations for a coherent, engaging plot, and Sucker Punch just didn't deliver.  Her visuals are a first-round knockout, but her story hits like a wet noodle.

Sorry, but I need a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment